Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Esente week 4, Wednesday


On Monday, my day was relatively routine. I spent the first hour and a half conducting internet research, developing a lead list based on financial companies in Cambridge, MA using Manta.com. After that, I spent about an hour and a half on a new media list for the state of Pennsylvania. One of the other interns had already worked on the list, but had left the company without finishing it. It was in complete and total disarray, with no organization evident whatsoever. Whoever worked on it before must have either had 0 organizational skills, or went into her list and deliberately turned it into chaos before leaving. Whatever the case may be, it took me that hour and a half just to sort through what she had, comparing it to what was on USNPL and reorganizing it in another Google doc. After I got them separated into categories, I edited some of them that were sloppy or confusing. Many seem to be missing pretty key information, like emails, contact names, etc., so I assume I'll be spending more time figuring it out before I consider it to be finished.

For the rest of the day, I worked some more on my Becca Levy fanart example. I decided that the piece I had been working on was one of the worst things I've ever made, so I decided to cut my losses and scrap it entirely. I feel like I spent too much time trying to make an idea work that I was never happy with in the first place, so it was like trying to make a fundamentally broken thing function properly. Instead of continuing to bang my head against a wall, I started making a new piece that instantly looked and felt much better than the previous piece. It's coming along much better now and should be finished a lot quicker than the other piece was taking. I keep promising to add a draft version of it to the blog, and still intend to, but considering the circumstances it probably won't be until next week.

- Ian Corrigan
Graphic Design Intern
Montserrat College of Art

Edit: Here are the two images. The speech bubble one is the one I decided to scrap.



No comments:

Post a Comment